Area: Southeast US
Phone: 678-986-9553 (Eastern time zone)
Indeed Resume: www.indeed.com/me/MichaelThomasResumePersonal Website: www.michael-thomas.com
Download My Resume: www.michael-thomas.com/resume
(Last Update: 10/26/2016)
On or after 11/14/16
US - Telecommute
position with travel as needed paid for by the client.
Open to working onsite for short period to get oriented to the project and company.
I’m also open to 75% travel M-Thu.
If travel is needed I will normally fly out of Atlanta, GA.
· North Atlanta GA - onsite work for an interesting job position.
Job Types: Employee, W2 contract or C2C contract
I’m looking for opportunities in one or more of the following job roles: Technical Consultant, Software Developer, SQL Programmer or DBA, LMS Administrator (Learning Management Systems), TMS Administrator (Talent Management Systems), HCM Administrator (Human Capital Management), Applications Analyst, Business Analyst, Systems Analyst, Systems Integrator, Technology Instructor or Manager/Director. I have 16 years of experience working in the Learning Management Systems application space (aka: LMS, TMS, HCM): 12 years with IBM (1999-2011) as a LMS Specialty Systems Integrator (IT Architect/Specialist), 2 years with the Saba LMS as an Advanced Support Engineer (2012-2014), 1 year contract with State Farm as a Saba SQL Report Developer and 1 year contract with Dell as a Software Development Sr Advisor. I have worked with web applications that are “Behind the Firewall” (BTF), Hosted and “Software as a Service” (SaaS) in the cloud (aka OnDemand) from the perspective of the client, vendor and consultant. I have also taught Java technologies in corporate and university settings and designed courseware.
With Dell (contracted by TechTalentA) I worked in the Global Learning & Development department advising as needed on Saba SEC 6.x & Saba Cloud (v35) LMS, developing HTML5/CSS3/JQuery web sites as portals, created a web content development tool, and installed, migrated and maintained web server installs (Win 2008 and earlier).
With State Farm (contracted by Randstad) I developed AdHoc SQL Oracle reports on a Saba 7.0 U2 application. With Saba Software, as an Advanced Support Engineer, I worked with Saba LMS providing customer support for Saba 5.5, 6.x, 7.x, 7.1 and 7.2 versions of Saba (BTF, hosted, SaaS). I was the Dedicated Support Engineer (DSE) for one Saba's largest premium support customers.
With IBM, as an LMS Specialty Systems Integrator (IT Architect/Specialist) I developed, integrated, customized, migrated and implemented web-based eLearning solutions primarily around LMS (Learning Management Systems). I worked with the following LMS system: Docent (by SumTotal), Saba, Lotus Learning Space, Pathware and others. . I have worked in almost all the aspects of LMS including software development, customizations, hosting environments, DB systems and custom courseware development. I was a LMS Administrator for Cingular (AT&T) and performed similar functions for BMW.
Early in my
career I had 6 years of hardware maintenance and over 4 years of IT Management
experience in coaching a team of IT professionals in Business Process
Re-Engineering & development of end-to-end Software.
EMPLOYMENT AVAILABILITY: Open for opportunities (employee, W2 contract or C2C via JCrazy LLC)
Applications (10 yrs) – development, administration, DB migrations, hosting
SQL programming (9yrs) – MS SQL (2000 & 2008) (7yrs), Oracle 10g/11g (Toad & SQL Developer) (2yrs), DB2 (1yr)
Windows Servers: Win NT IIS4; Win 2000 IIS5, 2003 IIS6, 2008 R2 IIS7.5, 2012 R2 IIS8.5 (7yrs);
Web Servers: IIS v5/6/7 (7yrs), Tomcat (1-2yrs); Websphere (1yr); exposure to JBoss
Java Technologies (2yrs) – Java, JSP, Struts etc… over several small projects.
Java Instructor: Java Core, Design Patterns Bootcamp, OOP Bootcamp, Struts 2
LMS (Learning Management Systems) (16 yrs) - large enterprise web applications.
* Advised on Saba LMS (SEC & Saba Cloud) as needed (1 yr)
* LMS Saba Advanced Support Engineer (2 yrs)
* LMS Saba SQL Report Developer (1 yr)
* LMS DB migrations (1yr)
* LMS Administrator (6.5 yrs)
* LMS SumTotal Docent (7 yrs),
* LMS Saba (5 yrs total with Saba, IBM, State Farm & Dell),
* LMS Lotus Learning Space (5 yrs)
* LMS Pathware (1 yr) – by Macromedia. IBM purchased Pathware.
* LMS courseware integration (3 yrs): Lectora, TestCraft, Flash (ActionScript), Dreamweaver/Coursebuilder and other custom courseware tools.
* LMS Other: Centra 7.x (eMeetings, Conferencing) (2 yrs including installs but not primary focus)
* LMS Saba Certified (Level One Partner)
Java (Sun Certified JDK 1.1),
Other technologies: Others: VBScript, HTML, XML, JSP, ASP, SQL, .Net
Web Apps that run on: MS IIS, Tomcat (Struts), WebSphere or JBoss.
DB Servers: MS SQL (2000, 2005, 2008) and Oracle DBMS (10g,11g), DB2
CRM (Customer Relationship Management): Salesforce, Parature, Jira
Technical writing: since 1999 developing web tutorials at: www.michael-thomas.com. The site features "Java Certification Training" and resources for other web technologies. For years this web site has been on the search first page if you search for “Java Training” from www.google.com.
(via TechTalentA) – 14 month contract (initially 6+ mo) 09/2015
Telecommute. HQ: TechTalentA, 4965 Preston Park Blvd Ste 500, Plano Tx 75093
Software Development Sr. Advisor
· Built mobile friendly web apps using Responsive Web Design (RWD).
· Developed a proof of concept Saba REST API web service to get data from Saba Cloud.
· Setup several web servers (Win 2012 R2 IIS8.5) for DEV, QA & PROD along with migrating end of life servers (2008 R2 IIS 7.5).
· Developed a proof of concept catalog tool: Java reads Excel (catalog info) and builds JSON files. HTML5/CSS3/JQuery reads JSON files to allow search of catalog and launching of content cataloged.
· Used Saba LMS SEC 6.1 and Saba Cloud (v31-v35).
· Helped with Xyleme (LCMS & CDS) initial rollout and training.
· Used Excel to build a quick small app (lookup tables, if/or logic) for Technical Sales department.
· Created an access portal that ran on SharePoint.
· Created IT tickets for firewall exceptions, DNS requests, IP requests (internal & external), SSL Certificates and to move server into DMZ zone.
Farm (via Randstad) – 1 year contract 05/2014
Telecommute. HQ: Randstad Technologies, LP; 808 S Eldorado Rd Ste 200; Bloomington, IL 61704; 309-862-4555 (Todd Moody – 309-451-5580)
Saba LMS SQL Report Developer
· Developed SQL code for all AdHoc reports.
· Developed SQL code to identify data that did not follow the Enterprise Standards & Guidelines.
· Developed SQL code to be used as metrics for new reports and old reports converted from SAP Business Objects to IBM Cognos reporting tool.
Platform: Oracle DB 11g; Application: Saba 7.0 U2 (LMS);
Oracle SQL Developer 1.5.5;
Saba Software (LMS software vendor) – 2 years 02/2012 – 04/2014
Telecommute. HQ: 2400 Bridge Parkway, Redwood Shores, CA 94065; 650-581-2500
Saba Advanced Support Engineer
LLC – Owner – 1 year 04/2011-02/2012
Telecommute/travel. HQ: Cartersville, GA
Java Technology Instructor
Global Business Services - 13 years 04/1998
Telecommute/travel. HQ: 1133 Westchester Ave, White Plains, NY 10604; 800-796-9876
LMS Specialty Systems Integrator (IT Architect/Specialist) – summary of 13 years (Part 1 of 8)
For 12 years as
an LMS Specialty Systems Integrator (IT Architect/Specialist) I developed,
integrated, customized, migrated and implemented web-based eLearning solutions
primarily around LMS (Learning Management Systems). I worked with the following
LMS system: Docent (by SumTotal), Saba, Lotus Learning Space, Pathware and
others. I have worked in almost all the aspects of LMS including software
development, customizations, hosting environments, DB systems and custom
courseware development. I was a LMS Administrator for Cingular (AT&T) and
performed similar functions for BMW.
For 1 year, my first year, with IBM I developed software using Clipper for Prudential client.
LMS Specialty Systems Integrator (IBM Clients) - (Part 2 of 8) (04/2010 – 03/2011)
Migration (American Red Cross) (09/2010
Migrated data from several different LMS platforms (Plateau & Custom LMSs) into Saba (220.127.116.11) LMS implementing ETL (Extract, Transform and Load) using Oracle 10G’s SQL Loader control files, validating & changing SQL procedures if needed on staging tables and loader SQL procedures to live tables.
DB2 SQL Code
Optimization (Internal IBM Hosting) (08/2010)
A short project where I took a process that took 12 hours & 4min and optimized the code to run in 2 min & 17 sec which was 317 times faster.
Center Move (BMW) (05/2010
Moved Docent 6.5 LMS from Win 2000 w/IIS 5 servers to Win 2008 w/IIS7.5 servers – there were many OS and IIS changes that were necessary to get the older legacy app to run under Win 2008 & IIS 7.5. The new architecture used VM servers with one Sand drive. Each legacy server now ran inside of a VM within a VM server. Migrated data from several LMS platforms implementing ETL (Extract, Transform and Load) using MS SQL text imports, validating procedures on staging tables and loader procedures to live tables.
install/integration with Saba (American Red Cross) (04/2010 – 05/2010)
Installed Centra 7.6 (SP3) in QA and PROD and integrated with Saba (18.104.22.168) via the Saba VLE connector.
LMS Specialty Systems Integrator (BMW - Automotive) - (Part 3 of 8) (01/2005 – 03/2010)
LMS Administrator (AT&T/Cingular - Telcom) - (Part 4 of 8) (05/2003 – 12/2004)
IT Architect/Specialist ( IBM Internal) (Part 5 of 8) (01/2002 - 05/2003)
Developed a Knowledge Portal using Struts Framework (under Apache's Jakarta project). Used Struts MVC (Model View Controller) framework using XML config files, JSP (Java Server Pages) for front end and Java Servlets with SQL for the backend. Application server was Tomcat with DB2 as the database engine.
& Struts - (01/2003
Later I was given the original portal I create that had additional feature added and Took Struts w/ Tomcat application and ported it to WSAD. Converted the application to conform to IBM's internal GWA web standards and deployed to the CDT running Struts on a WebSphere server using DB2.
LMS Specialty Systems Integrator (IBM Clients) - (Part 6 of 8) (01/2000 – 12/2001)
LMS Specialty Systems Integrator (IBM Clients) - (Part 7 of 8) (06/1999 – 12/1999)
HTML posting to LMS using SCORM.
· Java AWT UI for Reporting (IBM internal) - Created a UI using Java AWT in JDK1.1 environment to report against DB2 database for material requisitions for a LMS system.
Specialty System Integrator
(IBM/Prudential - Insurance) - (Part 8 of 8) (04/1998 - 06/1999)
Worked onsite: Jacksonville, FL.
Instructor (Part time) 2001
Earlier Experience: 01/1989 – 04/1998
(Network Long Distance/Broadwing - Telecom) – 3 years
Worked on site: Baton Rouge, LA
· Report to COO. Managed up to 6 people. Started as a consultant for 8 months, then was asked to build a MIS group to bring software support and design in-house. 60% of my time was devoted to the Business Analyst functions. Clipper 5.2e in Novell 3.12 platform
· Handled company growth from 12 million to 100 million in annual revenue in 3 years.
· Company went IPO during this time.
· Started a MIS group. Managed up to 6 people during peak development.
· Performed Business Analyst functions for all of the software systems.
· Engineered the design of a software system to integrate 2 legacy systems. Reengineered processes, developed new systems, and built front-end and back-ends to old systems. Designed a distributed data system for off-site data entry.
· Integrated over a 12 acquisitions using the distributed data system as the data integration tool.
· Developed Sales Tax reporting system which interfaced with Vertex's tax data and Cobol programs.
test – I was equal in all quadrants.
Dominance - Person places emphasis on accomplishing results, the bottom line, confidence
Influence - Person places emphasis on influencing or persuading others, openness, relationships
Steadiness - Person places emphasis on cooperation, sincerity, dependability
Conscientiousness - Person places emphasis on quality and accuracy, expertise, competency
MIS Director.(World Health Foundation – Insurance) – 1.5 years
Worked on site: Baton Rouge, LA
Report to owners.
Managed 3 developers and 3 maintenance programmers. Company grew from 0.5m to
24m annually in 2 years. Performed all the Business Analyst functions for
Billing, Proposals, Account funding, Commissions, Actuarial data studies,
Was a Consultant for 6 months prior to becoming an employee. (Development in Clipper ’87)
· Designed insurance application systems using PC's (DBASE3/CLIPPER) from ground up (all but claims). Hard deadlines were met.
· Company grew 2000 % the first year. We kept up with the growth.
Hardware - Senior Field Service Engineer (Burroughs/Unisys) – 4 years
Worked on site: Baton Rouge, LA
· Reported to Field Service Manager. Responsible for installing, troubleshooting and maintaining mainframe computer systems in banks and commercial companies.
· Processor Server Workshop - WebSphere Server (2006) (80 hrs)
· SOA Workshop (SOA Deep Architect Program) (2006) (40 hrs)
· WebSphere Business Modeler v6.0 (Jan 2007) (24hrs)
· SOA Bootcamp (SOAWS10) - (July 2006) (24hrs)
· StrutsOS (Struts on Steroids) - (May 2005) (40hrs)
· Eclipse RCP (Rich Client Platform) - (Sept 2005) (40hrs)
· Intro to OOAD IBM Global Services Methods (July 2005) (40hrs)
· Analysis and Design with PanDOORA (2005) (24hrs)
College Degree (BA) – Bible Studies (Practical Ministries &
Southeastern University, Lakeland FL US, 1977-1980, 3.69 GPA
(aka Southeastern College of the Assemblies of God)
Degree (AD) - Computer Maintenance Electronics
Sullivan Vocational Technical Institute (now Louisiana Technical College Sullivan Campus), Bogalusa, LA, 1980-1982, 3.85 GPA
School - John F. Kennedy Senior High School, New Orleans, LA, 1994-1977, 3.87
Graduated 6th of 365 students. (1977) (5700 Wisner Blvd, New Orleans, LA 70124)
· Sun Certified Java Programmer (SCJP) JDK 1.1. – 05/14/1999
· Saba Certified (Level One Partner Certification Program) 8/99 - first vendor group to be level one certified. (LMS/EMS system with WEB access for large ERP companies.)
· FCC First Class License- 1982