tutorials, Books, etc... Have fun!
Although there is similarity in the syntax, the two products differ greatly.
(Note: JScript was developed by Microsoft and is the equivalent of
Make sure you visit this page.
I've created this web resource page for my own reference (under construction, but still a good
example (alert() function)
- Plugin Check - Uses the <object> tag
for IE, Dreamweaver's "Plugin Check" etc...
Note: I did create a Dreamweaver template to be able to maintain and create
new plugin checks. You don't need Dreamweaver to run these examples.
- Eclipse with JSDT
- Fee based - modest
- Website Quotes:
- WebStorm is a lightweight yet powerful IDE, perfectly equipped for
complex client-side development and server-side development with Node.js
- Komodo IDE
- Website: http://komodoide.com
- Cross-Platform IDE for all your major languages, including Python, PHP,
- NetBeans IDE
- Free - open source
- Website: https://netbeans.org
- Develop desktop, mobile and web applications with Java, HTML5, PHP,
C/C++ and more.
- Aptana Studio 3.6.1
- Website Download -
- 2 Versions: Standalone & Eclipse Plugin
Supports: Win, Mac, Linux
- Complete environment that includes extensive capabilities to build Ruby
and Rails, PHP, and Python applications, along with complete HTML, CSS and
- Visual Studio 2013 with NTVS and Web Essentials
- Visual Studio Code
Top 2 for Windows could be: Sublime Text & Brackets
- Sublime Text
- Free - open source (Windows)
- A must install for Windows PCs.
- Supports many programming and markup languages.
- Komodo Edit
- General Info
Be careful with compatibility.
Compatibility - it is wise to test with IE to make sure that the
code is compatible.
Microsoft's Resources (JScript)
- Microsoft's Scripting Home Page, then click on JScript or VBScript.
Above URL Contains links to:
- Debugger - Link to download a "Microsoft Script Debugger".
You can run this while in IE's browser by clicking on "View, Script
Debugger, the Open or Break at Next Statement" after you have
installed the debugger. Download is free.
- Users Guide & Language Reference - JScript & VBScript.
- Organization around Netscape's Browser. (
www.mozilla.org/js/ - Home page.)
- http://www.w3.org - World
Wide Web consortium. Click on "DHTML" for the Dynamic HTML
Document Object Model.
- http://www.ecma.ch - ECMA
- Link to download ECMA-262 ECMA Script language specification.
JScript uses this spec.
- Quote from site: ECMA is an international
industry association founded in 1961 and dedicated to the
standardization of information and communication systems.
- CLI - common language infrastructure.
- Quote from site: "An example of the usage of CLI is JScript, the Microsoft implementation
of ECMASCRIPT (ECMA-262,
- Launch IE.
- Tools, Internet Options,
- Click on the tab: Advanced
- Under the section "Browsing"
- UnCheck - Disable Script Debugging (Internet Explorer)
- UnCheck - Disable Script Debugging (Other)
- Check - Display a notification about every script error
- Steps using default security levels.
- Launch IE.
- Tools, Internet Options,
- Click on the tab: Security
- Click on the "Internet" world icon. The zone will show
- Click on "Custom Level". The "Security Setting" window
will open up.
- At the bottom, select "Medium" for the "Reset to:" option.
- Click "OK".
- You should now be back at the "Internet Options" window.
The security level for this zone should be "Custom".
- Click "Default Level".
Warning: It has been my experience that clicking "Default
Level" will not always set the security level to "Medium".
That is why I've taken you through the steps to set a "Custom Level"
and reset to "Medium".
- Click Apply.
- You are finished!
- Security Properties
- Follow the steps above to get to the "Security Setting" window.
- Look for the section "Scripting". Click "Enable" for
"Scripting of Java Applets".
- www.brainbench.com - Over 50 IT
related Certifications. Some subjects have a $25 Prep Course. Some Exams
"International Webmasters Association".
- The Cert Prep Course is $25. There is 2 modes to the prep
course: Practice Test Mode (simulate test, but has answers and coaching
information) and Topic Review (which is a question-by-question
review). In 60 days you can access the prep course 5 times
(sessions). The prep course references page #'s in the book
- Certification Test is Free.
- Novell Certified Internet Professional Program
- 050-701 Internet Business Strategies
- 050-700 Web Authoring and Publishing
- 050-705 Advanced Web Authoring
- 050-703 Designing an Effective Web Site
- International WebMasters Association
- Email me if you know of any others!
Newsgroups & Developer Sites
0-7645-3188-3/1998/ - Excellent reference book (for intermediate to advanced
programmers). You can also use it as a learning tool because of the
way the material is organized. Everyone needs
Negrino & Dori Smith. This is an excellent beginner/intermediate
training book. Could be used to teach a short course. Lots of
code and visual examples. Small great book to learn from.
Heinle (O'Reilly). A small quick book to read and get a good knowledge
- Dynamic HTML, The Definitive Reference by Danny Goodman
(O'Reilly). A comprehensive resource for HTML, CSS, DOM, and
/O'Reilly - Recommended by a friend.
Recommended by a friend.
Conferences & Events