Windows Search Does Not Work
last updated/tested on: 04/05/06
- Win XP - Search - If your Windows Search program can't find files based
on the content of a file try the following fix:
- To search for a file or folder
- Click Start, and then click Search.
- Click Change preferences.
- Click Change files and folders search behavior.
- Click Standard, and then click OK.
- Now test searching again.
- Search Issues with XP (as of my testing on 04/05/06 w/ XP
Professional v5.1 build 2600 SP2)
- Issue #1: Can't find words between ASP tags: <% ... %>
Example: (If you have IIS installed)
Go to c:\inetpub\wwwroot
Right click on the Directory and choose "Search"
All or part of the file name: *.*
A word or phrase in the file: Language
You should at least find: iisstart.asp
(Note: Search for "Under" and you will find the file.)
- Issue #2: Can't search directories with spaces between
the directory names.
This issue appears to be fix now.
Search Engine (Key words):
Search does not work. Search doesn't work.
"Search is complete. There are no results to display".