UML Diagram: Sequence
(Free Web Tutorials)
by Michael Thomas
UML Home Page
On the UML Home page, you can download
the whole UML site (all content, tutorials & examples) !!!
(Note: All of the EclipseUML projects
used in these tutorials are in .zip files located at:
uml\eclipse\viewonly . Just extract them into your workspace.)
- Review the UML Overview tutorial.
- Get a broad over view of UML "Sequence" diagram.
Definition & Example
- Sequence Diagram - is a diagram of the interaction and flow of
messages among objects and the relative time ordering of the messages.
- Example - (created
with EclipseUML - May of 2008) - a very general
diagram between an actor (the Customer) and a system (online
reservation for a Hotel) to give you a flow of the interactions to make a
reservation via the web.
Example - (created with Rational Software Modeler v6.0 - Sept of 2005) -
diagram of an online order system.
Goals of the Sequence Diagram
- Model the order of the exchange of messages, relative to time,
between objects in a system.
- Take a use case and expand then internal workings of the objects
relative to the order and timing of messages.
- Describe the aspects of your system that change over time.
- Show classes that exchange message within an interaction arranged in a
- Horizontally at the top show the objects then vertically show the
messages to the objects (from left to right) in order over time
(top to bottom).
UML Sequence Diagram Terms (used by EclipseUML for UML2)
- Self Message
- Interaction use
- More examples of diagrams...