UML Diagram: Timing
(Free Web Tutorials)
by Michael Thomas
UML Home Page
On the UML Home page, you can download
the whole UML site (all content, tutorials & examples) !!!
(Note: All of the EclipseUML projects
used in these tutorials are in .zip files located at:
uml\eclipse\viewonly . Just extract them into your workspace.)
This tutorial covers: UML 2.0
- Review the UML Overview tutorial.
- Get a broad over view of UML "Timing" diagram.
Definition & Example
- Timing Diagram - is a diagram that explores the behaviors of one
or more objects throughout a given period of time.
- Example - (created
with EclipseUML - May of 2008) - a very ....
Goals of the Timing Diagram
- To show any timing constraints between the state changes among objects.
- To show the state changes that occur relative to time and the messages
that are exchanged.
- To show the specific timing of messages between objects.
- To show the specific times that messages must be sent or received.
- To show how an object changes it's internal states over a period of
- To show from left to right the timing of state changes as time changes.
The states are listed from bottom to top.