Songwriting: Legal & the Business
- Copyright (Certificate of Copyright)
- Performing rights and copyright organizations
- BMI (Broadcast Music Incorporated) - www.bmi.com
- Repertoire Search - Search for a song by Artist, Publisher,
Writer, or Title.
- ASCAP (American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers) - www.ascap.com - The
American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers.
- SESAC, Inc (Society of European Stage Authors and Composers).
- PRS - United Kingdom association of composers, songwriters and
music publishers. www.prs.co.uk
- SOCAN - SOCAN is the Canadian copyright collective for the
public performance of musical works. www.socan.ca
- Church Copyright Licenses
- Mechanical Licenses - place songs on CD's.
- The Harry Fox Agency, 711 Third Avenue, New York, New
York 10017, (212) 370-5330, www.nmpa.org/hfa
, represents most of the major U.S. publishers in granting mechanical
and synchronization licenses and collecting fees for them from the
record companies and producers who need them.
- www.songu.com - I'm a member.
One incredibly great site. I suggest highly that you consider joining.
- NSAI - Nashville Songwriters Association International - I'm a
- SGA - Songwriter's Guild of America
- www.songwriters.org -
offers industry news, members services information, newsletters,
contract reviews and more. Has the "Popular Songwriter's
Contract" on the link called "The Contract"
- NAS - National Academy of Songwriters
- Local Groups
- www.Billboard.com - Music charts.
Songwriting - eLearning
Songwriters Online Showcase
Songwriting Song Contests
- Masterwriter - www.masterwriter.com - I
downloaded the 30 day trial version and it's awesome. Make sure you
run the demo after you install. I now own the product. Wouldn't
write without it! (Warning: Every time you have to install this
product you need access to the internet and you will need to call support so
that they will allow the install.)
- Releasing the Activation:
If you wish to move your license make sure to Release the Activation from
the computer that MasterWriter is currently installed on. To release the
activation, open MasterWriter and choose Release Activation under the File
Menu. This will free up an install and allow you to activate the program
- You can also do an offline activation that will require an email address
to send the activation code to.
- Lyricist Software by VSS (Virtual
Studio Systems) -
- Lyric Pro - ???
- Other helps
- 6 Steps to Songwriting Success by Jason Blume - This is the
most awesome book I've read. Covers songwriting & the
- Song Writer's Market by Bessler - This book is updated yearly.
Very good book to have.
- Idiot's Guide To Songwriting - by Joel Hirschhorn.
- Pat & Peet Luboff - www.writesongs.com
- 88 Songwriting Wrongs and How to Right them
- 12 Steps to writing better songs
Selling Your CD
Songwriting Coaching: Mentoring, Critiques, etc...
Sites Dedicated to Songwriters
Demo - Demo Production Studio
Songwriting & Nashville
Misc - Need to look at these.
- I need to look into these: